Friday, March 11, 2011

Found the Perfect Pooch?

My husband and I have been so busy this week! I thought I found the perfect puppy for us.  Then doubt like a sledge hammer hammered my dreams. I was at a very vulnerable place and was very close to walking away from my hearts desire.  My husband convinced me to actually visit a Leonberger to see first hand what I thought. The next day my daughter Vanessa and I drove 2 1/2 hours to BluDrift Leo's to see for ourselves. We were only able to do this since the owners were very gracious and allowed us to visit and talk with them about Leo's and their care. Leonbergers are incredible dogs who love to be with their owners and not tied out in a yard. They are affectionlate and yet if the need arises they will protect their family. I arrived up north just in time to fall desperately in love with these lovely, cuddly fur balls! My determination to adopt a Leonberger puppy grew to near desperation. Because BluDrift's Luna will only be givng birth to two or three puppies I decided to see if I could find another breeder who I could like and respect as much as BluDrift.  Fortuantely I was able to do so. A local shop gave me the name of Sentez Leonbergers and Sondra Boos beautiful girl Viva gave birth to a litter of 11 puppies two weeks ago!  She only had three puppies left by the time I called her. Now that we sent in our down payment she only has two puppies left.  Aren't they picture perfect!  One of those beauties is our little girl who will not stay little for long.  This week I've been in contact with Sondra and I've been skirting around the internet looking for excellent positive training methods for HUGE dogs!!  Yes Viva is 125 pounds at 2 years old and she is has not fully matured!!  Our little girl is going to get the most positive, consistant training I am capable of giving because she is just too big to not give positive boundries!  I have a friend who knows where and how to get a licence for becoming a therapy dog.  So our little girl and I will work hard and take the classes in order to pass  tests to become licenced. I want us to serve our comunity by visiting those in Assisted living and possilby some shutins?  Time will tell.  I've been considering what I need to redecorate around here so that our new "baby" in the house will not be lured into distructive mode.  I will take photos of all the temptation places I need to pack away for a couple of years while our precious ball of fur learns not to chew things like flower arrangements and old books and shoes......etc. etc. !!
Did I find the perfect pooch?  Well I do believe for my husband and I this puppy will be the perfect choice. Will it alwasys be easy? No. Will I wonder if I made a mistake along the way? Hopefully not. Our little lady is a gift from God, a precious companion and friend.  Not only that she will be a member of our family - our
perfect pooch!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, how did you get out of there with only one! They are soooo cute. The mother is beautiful you will have a gorgeous perfect pooch. I love puppy breath hehe tmi ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Wanda! We will get her sometime at the end of April! Oh I'm looking at this and that around the house- it's gota move up or out of harms way!! Maybe I'll post my endtable decorations to show what I'm giving up in order to gain so much more!! They are decended from Saint Bernard, Newfoundland, and Great Pyrenees. I bet you can imagine the "presence" this beautiful breed has and the love and devotion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,
    Congratulations on finding your beautiful puppy -- wow, they are so cute! And thanks so much for visiting my blog -- it's lovely to meet you here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel I am thinking about adopting another pup. These are TOO cute! Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute puppy! I have never heard of that breed before. Thanks for your visit and becoming my 100th follower! I will be having a giveaway soon to celebrate reaching 100.... so be sure and check back! I also appreciate your sweet comments about our library.
    Blessings,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your congrats!! I can't tell you how I enjoy your blogs!! I'm bragging on you all!! I hear the puppies are doing well today.I think that is amazing for her to have 11 puppies! We had Pens of Praise Christian Writers Group today - wonderfu meeting! On the way home I retrieved a tall stack of books on training your dog. Two of the books were by Cesar Millan the Dog Whisperer!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greeting James, I am grateful you stopped by. As you can see I finally figured out how to put the Leonberger Community link on my blog. It took a few tries but whew - got-er-done! I didn't see your post for a while and just stumbled on it by accident! I look forward to looking on Leonberger WEB site!

    ReplyDelete